Why Can't PDF Charts Be
From The United States Copyright Office (the
1. A Digital File that is being distributed
is being REPRODUCED.
2. The Copyright Owner is the only one that has the right to REPRODUCE a
copyrighted work, or to prepare a derivative work.
3. The First Sale Doctrine applies to those works such as videos, books,
etc. where copies were legally purchased. In the case of a Digital File,
these are reproductions of original copyrighted works, and so the
Copyright Owner is the only one that has that right to reproduce them.
United States Copyright Law Section 106
Subject Matter and Scope Of Copyright, Section 106, "Exclusive Rights In
Copyrighted Works" (Pages 16-17: Section 2, 3)
"106: Exclusive rights in copyrighted works
Subject to sections 107 through 122, the owner of copyright under this
title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the
(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;"
(3) to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work to the
public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or